Sunday, September 15, 2013

Finding hope in a narcissistic world.

I am infinitely aware of humans need  for self focus.  Try and start a conversation with someone and see where it ends up.  There is little give and take of information any longer - just try a little experiment with some one you 'sort of know' and see where it ends up.  I can nearly promise you it will end up on their story - their life, their worlds view.  Even if you started to tell them something important, or were a little upset.  We've become a generation of "Oh I have to tell you about me!!!"  And, "what was is again you were saying?"...  If that even enters their minds.  I don't think that I'm the only person on the universe that is burdened by these vampires.  That's what they do.  They suck the blood out of you and leave you bleeding.  I met a new one just recently.  I'd been hearing her details --- for a few weeks, and I needed someone to talk to badly, yesterday.  I did not get what I thought I'd get.  Or  I did get what I guess I usually do?  

Don't ever become a counselor and think that people will treat you like a regular friend.  It just won't happen.  They have alterer motives.   They're going to spill their guts, and hope you've got advice.  Even when you are in a t-shirt and raggedy shorts.  You are supposed to be on call 24-7.   I did not sign up for this --.  It seems it has altered every friendship I have but maybe, two.  However, people have always told me their whole life story, since I can remember.  I used to think it a incredible honor -- and at times it is.  Yet, there are times when I need a friend too, and most folks don't respect, nor care.  This makes me angry.  

It serves me no purpose to get angry, we live in a society that does not give a second thought to it's neighbor - probably  doesn't even know them.  And more than likely, doesn't want to.  This I find very disconcerting.  Simply, very, very, sad.  

The world has evolved so much that we think we don't need each other anymore.  I think it's mostly because of technology.  We have our phones, iPad, lap-tops, etc.  The machines have become what we depend upon.  It takes a tragedy for us to see that these things are temporal.    And it makes me wonder how God sees it.  If it, like so may other things that separate us, hurts Him?  He created us to work together.... and as our society has developed throughout time - we've managed to ease God out and machines in.  Are we better for it?  I think we like kids with new toys, fascinated, dumbfounded even - and driven further and further into ourselves.  Time is taken away from child rearing - friends don't meet face to face.  There's now "snap shot", where you take a photo of yourself that disappears in seconds, while you chat.... that has some parents highly concerned.  They talk to strangers, when there's a kid down the block that needs a friend. 


All of these things separate us and it makes me wonder, where is the Ark?  Or what ever means it is that is going to save this world.  I can help but think of it.  As we are driven farther and farther into ourselves and away from each other ... where does the God within us go?  It's certainly not producing any vines.  We no longer need Him as our Shepherd - there aren't any flocks.  Just single sheep.  An given, this is my world view.  

I just know that I'm a single person whom struggles with making any kind of new friend, for some reason.  I thought we were social animals (to coin a phrase) - but I'm not seeing it.  We're more like separate entities.  I don't understand it.  I guess I never will.  I don't see it changing much other than to just get worse.  This coming from a generally hope filled, inspired person - is not a good thing.

There is  no fellowship.  If you're not a part of a subculture, try and get in.  It's nearly impossible.  We've (well I did not, I have no children) raise a 'me' generation - and this is the result.  It's only going to get worse.  This makes me very sad.  And I don't have any answers.  I will rely on that which I know to be true, God.  It isn't what He intended, I will tell you that. 




It does however, make me ever so grateful for the people that are in my life, be them few.  I'm grateful that I am not the kind of person that is completely wrapped up in my own problems.  The most heart wrenching  factors in all of this is that we've stopped helping each other.  We've stopped being mankind.  There's a reason those two words are together!  Kindness, generosity, and altruism seems to be a thing of the past.  This is why when someone does something nice we hear it on the news, it happens so rarely.  Sure people open doors, and you'll get an occasional hello - but I'm talking deeper here.  Much deeper.  It's like you break a social norm when you're kind now a days.  I find that scary.  I would imagine, God does too.  



We are the only ones that can change this.  As hard as it might be -- learn to listen.  Learn to be comfortable with other people's pain. So what if you don't have the answers, none of us do. Know that we all are hurting- all of us in some way despite how we look on the outside, what we drive, where we live, and how many gadgets we have.  I'd say the more stuff, the greater the hurt.  You might just be surprised how badly some folks are hurting.  And you might just find out that you aren't alone in your suffering.  This is what God intended, why He gave us each other -  for us to help each other.  There's a little bit (or a BIG bit) of God in all of us.  He is there for a reason and if we yielded to His spirit of kindness, the world would be a better place.  

You are not alone, it just feels that way.  Reach to those you know you can find comfort, and treasure them with all of your heart.  Never let them go.  Tell them what they mean to you - and often.  People need, basic needs of 1) shelter.  2) food.  3) love and belonging.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that you are not whole because you have these needs.  I have a God that loves me more than I can ever fathom - it is that it is based in faith and I waiver at times.  I'm human.  I need other people, He designed us this way.  I'll get through this just like I've gotten through all the other difficult times in my life.  There is a reason I'm going through it.  I don't have to like it, but it would sure be nice to have someone to share it with - besides a machine.  But hey, I'm grateful for that too.  Maybe someone, will be enlightened, feel less alone, or inspired.   I can only hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chemicals no longer needed.

  I agree with this wholeheartedly.   I'm going on day three... of little sleep, I'm in a transition with my depression medications....